Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gosh, you are expensive! Can I get a CD with that?

Reprinted with permisson from Koppi Write Photographys' BLOG! I couldn't have explained it better myself!

Most of my clients value the professional, custom photography that I provide… others are just looking for a bargain.

“$45 for a 4x6? I can get it printed at XXXXX for only $.19!”

And this post is primarily education for those of you who have thought that very same thing.In essence… yes you COULD get a 4x6 print at the local store printed for cheap, but ONLY if you had the digital image (which must be purchased from me), because it is illegal to have something printed that you have swiped off of Facebook or your online gallery. So let’s say you bought the digital image ($100 each or collections starting at $800). You have an image that has been prepared to be printed at my lab.

“What does this mean?”

If it is red on my monitor, it will print red, NOT some weird shade of pink or orange. Red will be red. Blue will be blue. You get the picture (pun fully intended). If you take it to Big Box Store A and have it printed it may have a green tone…Store B may be more red… Store C may be WAY off. The thing is, printers vary, quality varies, just as price varies. You could get a Canvas printed at some off the wall online printer for cheap… will it be the same quality as the canvases I sell… doubtful. Will it be good enough to hang on your wall, maybe.

Let’s break this down for all you number people: Example of Cake Smash session.

I do cake smash sessions complimentary, as a service and fun session for my clients. A lot of work goes into these sessions.

• 30 minutes of communication/scheduling between Koppi Write & client
• 30 minutes to go get cake (or make cake) $10 cost to me
• 15 minutes travel to studio• 15 minutes of set up time before you arrive at the studio
• 30 minute session (shooting time)
• 30 minute clean up (here at the studio, all you have to clean is kiddo)
• 15 take down set time
• 2 hours image processing (uploading to computer, editing, backing up etc)
• 1 hour uploading to online gallery, posting sneak peeks etc. (2 if you are proofing in person)
• 1 hour client communication about ordering
• 30 minutes processing order
• 15 minutes checking order/preparing for shipping or pickup
• 15 minutes taking to be shipped
• * Add another 30 minutes of travel & 15 minutes at studio if you pick up order

Grand Total of time for ONE 30 minute session: 7 hrs 15 minutes (on average).

Remember… the cake smash session is complimentary. I do not know many people that will work 7 hours for free… would you? I do it because I LOVE my job, my clients and my ART.For longer sessions or weddings we would obviously add time in to the session and image processing, but I think you guys get the idea.

“Ok, now that I know this…what does it have to do with your pricing?”

Consider the costs. If you purchase your FAVORITE digital image for $100 from me. That 4x6 print you wanted just cost you $100.19. You can print a gazillion prints from that one image, I am being compensated once. You want a specialty item (canvas, standout etc) only and found some off-the-wall lab to print it for $80. Good for you, but now the price of that product is $180 because you have to buy the image to use. Isn’t it worth it to pay a little extra to get the quality product from me?

I LOVE photography, it is my passion. I work hard to learn new techniques, lighting, posing. I am always looking for a way to hone my skills. But it is business. MY business. It is livelihood for my family, food on our table, and clothes on our backs. That is what photography is to me. The math is easy. Working 7 hours for free will not provide the things needed for my family. Selling $5 4x6 prints or giving you a CD of all your images won’t either!

So… what are you getting for your $45 4x6 print (5x7s & 8x10s are priced the same)? You are getting professional quality products, services and art. You are getting me. My heart, my soul and my passion. You are getting your precious memories preserved by a professional who has everything to lose if you don’t LOVE (and purchase) your images.

Thank you Koppi for letting me share this very informative article! Visit Koppis' website here.

No comments: